I have a new CPU (Dell Dimension 8400), running Windows XP SP2. I am setting it up to be my primary windows development box. This article is to show what I have installed/use on a daily basis. Below is a list of installed software and the current version in use:
- Blindly take anything from windowsupdate.microsoft.com, because it has to be better than SP2
- WinZip (9.0) Mostly to open all the .tar.gz files. Bought it too long ago to drop it now.
- Tortoise SVN (1.1.2)
- Emacs (21.3)
- nxml-mode for Emacs(20041004) nxml-mode has replaced xslide for my xml editing needs.
- Apache HTTP Server (2.0.52)
- Python (2.3.4, until mod_python has a binary for 2.4) Also cheetah, sqlobject, ctypes, mysql_python, pywin32, and wxpython
- mod_python (3.1.3)
- Putty and friends (plink, pscp, etc)Great ssh client for Windows
- TextPad (4.7) Great replacement for Notepad/Wordpad
- XMLSpy(2005) Still the best visual XML editor (nxml-mode is better day-to-day for simple editing)
- JDK(1.4.2, don’t need 1.5 yet) (Don’t forget the documentation)
- MySQL(4.1.7) Don’t forget to turn query logging on, for development. Also install the Query Browser, Adminstration Console, and Control Center.
- CVS command line executable (1.11.12)
- Delphi 7
- IDEA 4.5
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0
- Trillian Trying it as a multi-IM client.
- MKS toolkit, for unix utilities (tried cygwin, didn’t like it, and have not tried Windows Services for Unix yet, since mks ‘just works’
- Ant(1.6.2) How to build anything java without it?
- Subversion(1.1.2) Good to also have the command line client in addition to TortoiseSVN
- Zend Studio(4.0 Beta) Trying it out for PHP development.
- VMWare Workstation Great for testing installers by using the snapshot functionality. Also used it at a previous job to run Linux/Windows/etc on the same machine. Much better than Virtual PC.
Stuff I don’t use everyday, but do need for the odd project:
- SQL Server 2000 Developer
- Mozilla Suite (1.7.5)
- Mozilla Thunderbird (1.0)
- Cisco VPN Client
- Microsoft Office 2003, everyone makes me use it, because I believe in text files.
- Visio 2003
- Project 2003
- Eclipse 3.1M3, testing the water again
- NSIS (2.0.3) Awesome installer product for Windows, and free to boot (Don’t forget to try nsisedit)
Other stuff I should not forget:
- My .emacs file
- antrc_pre.bat (Sets the max memory for Ant to 1GB)
- Edit the httpd.conf for mod_ptyhon integration:
+LoadModule python_module modules/mod_python.so
- Environment variables:
- PATH += HOME/bin
- JAVA_HOME = C:/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_06
- PATH += JAVA_HOME/bin
- PATH += C:/usr/mks/mksnt
- PATH += ANT_HOME/bin
Stuff I did NOT install:
- Tortoise CVS (icon overlay in 1.6.3 sucks!!!)
- Yahoo! IM
- AOL IM
- MSN Messenger (though it is still forced upon me)
Should I install these again?
- Google Desktop search
- Visual Studio
- Anything related to the D language (doesn’t seem to be going anywhere)